I posted this recipe about a year ago, but decided to give it a face lift and share it again. It’s really yummy and I hate to think you missed it last year! 😉 I’m sure you agree, there’s nothing better than a nice hearty bowl of soup during the fall and winter months. I love walking in the door and smelling the delicious aroma of soup simmering in the Crockpot. It’s also a sneaky way to get my kids to eat their vegetables. Shhh! Don’t tell them I said that, they have no idea veggies are hiding in this soup.
I have a feeling you’re going to fall in love with this Chicken Potato Soup Recipe and add it to your regular menu. I’ll give some great tips for preparing the meat and veggies. By following the simple steps, you’ll get a flavorful soup with tender chicken and terrific texture.
Tools You’ll Need:
- Large Pan
- Vidalia Chopper (or a knife, it just takes longer!)
• 1-1 ½ lbs raw chicken breast
• 10-12 small red roasting potatoes
• 1 large yellow onion 2 small ones
• 3 stalks celery
• Fresh Thyme
• 1 can cheddar cheese soup
• 1 32 oz box chicken stock (measure out ½ cup for de-glazing)
• 1/3 Cup dry white wine
• 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• ¾ Cup sharp cheddar cheese (and extra for topping the soup, if desired)
• Chives (optional topping)
• Sour Cream or plain greek yogurt (optional topping)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan over medium-high heat.
- Season both sides of raw chicken breast with salt & pepper.
- Sear chicken in pan for 3 minutes, turn over and sear for 3 more minutes on other side (The goal is to brown the meat on each side. The meat will not be cooked through. It will still be pink on the edges and inside, that’s okay!)
- Place chicken on plate to cool while you de-glaze the pan. Leave the heat on for the pan de-glazing.
- Allow chicken to cool while completing recipe and then chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add white wine, ½ cup chicken stock and minced garlic to hot pan, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove de-glazing liquid from heat and allow it to cool while prepping veggies.
Veggie & Herb Prep
- Wash veggies and get ready to chop.
- Remove skin from potatoes (Simply slice the skin off the edges of the potato, creating a square shape.You don’t need to peel the potatoes. Leave some of the skin on. It’s quicker and saves some healthy vitamins and great texture for the soup.)
- Peel & Chop onion(s), potatoes and celery (see tip below)
- Remove tough strips from celery by breaking in half and peeling off stringy pieces. (You don’t need to remove all the strings, just the thick ones that come off with the break. This makes the celery more tender , which means kids don’t realize it’s hiding in the soup!).
- Pull Thyme leaves off stalks.
- In a medium bowl whisk together cheddar cheese soup and remaining chicken stock. (This just blends the liquids together for a smooth consistency.)
Add Ingredients to CrockPot
- Add chicken, veggies & thyme to Crockpot
- Pour de-glazing sauce & soup mixture over meat & veggies
- Add ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix Well
- Cook in Crockpot on low for 8 hours
- Ladle into bowls
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream/plain greek yogurt and chopped chives (if desired)
- Latest Posts