Shea butter is one of my favorite natural ingredients to work with. The skin benefits are really incredible. It’s a great moisturizer, skin smoother and it even has anti-inflammatory benefits. It’s important to find a high-quality shea butter that’s raw and unrefined to reap all the benefits. For this recipe, I use Alo Shea Butter. Pure and natural, this shea butter is smooth and soothing. It’s also available on Amazon, which is awesome!
Shea Body Butter Recipe
This recipe is for a portable body butter. It’s great for throwing in your purse or taking on vacation. It’s also super easy to apply. Just be sure to find high quality base ingredients for the best body butter.
- 1/4 Cup Beeswax (or substitute Candelilla Wax for a vegan recipe)
- 3/4 Cup Alo Shea Butter
- 1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 Tbsp. Cocoa Butter
- 1 tsp Apricot Kernal Oil
- 1 tsp. Jojoba Oil
- 1 tsp. Rosemary Extract
- 1 tsp. Rosehip Oil
- 1 tsp. Lavender Essential Oil
- 1 tsp Vitamin E Oil
- 10 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Add beeswax, Alo Shea Butter and cocoa butter to double boiler (or pot of water with glass bowl over top)
- Bring Water to a boil and gently simmer until fully melted, stirring occasionally (about 20 minutes)
- While butters and wax are melting, start mixing your liquid ingredients
- Add Apricot Kernal Oil, Jojoba Oil, Rosemary Extract, Rosehip Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Vitamin E Oil and Tea Tree Essential Oil to a small measuring cup
- Set Aside
- When butters and wax are melted add coconut oil and stir until melted (about 5 minutes)
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes
- Mix in oils, stirring for 1-2 minutes
- Pour mixture into portable containers
- Allow to cool for 3-4 hours before placing lids on
More About Alo Shea Butter
Alo unrefined shea butter is extracted from the nut of the karite tree, which is only found in Africa. This brand is sold exclusively on Amazon and makes a great addition to homemade skincare recipes. Since transitioning my life to more natural products, shea butter is a must! I always have it on hand and I can’t wait to share this incredible body butter recipe with you.
I have a line of natural and organic bath and body products called It’s The Balm. Shea butter is one of my primary ingredients in almost every products I make, so I am very familiar with using it as an ingredient. I’ve worked with some shea butter that is so gritty you have to boil it for 20 minutes or more and use a specific cooling process to avoid crystallization of the butter. Alo shea butter, on the other hand, is very smooth and easy to work with. I can also tell from the color and scent that it is raw and unrefined. That’s very important when it comes to reaping the benefits of this unique butter.
- Latest Posts