If you’re like me, you have a garden shed to store all your gardening supplies and other household items. Although we think about protecting our home with locks and security systems, we rarely consider securing our outdoor shed. Some of the things we store out there are quite valuable. Burglars are aware of this fact and know they can strike big, without getting caught. Let me give you a few ways you can keep your garden shed safe.
Items that are Targeted
Thieves know you have a wealth of valuable items stored in your shed. Think about it for a minute. We store a ton of important, expensive things out there. I know my family does! Garden sheds, garages and even open gardens can be targets.
These are the top items that burglars are looking for:
- Expensive bikes
- Lawn equipment, such as: lawn mowers, edgers and trimmers
- Hand Tools such as: drills and sanders
- Plants (believe it or not!)
Keep your Garden Shed Safe
A few simple tips to help you prevent future crimes:
- Install security lights
- Most burglars are trying to fly under the radar, without getting caught. Sometimes lights can be enough to scare them off when it’s dark.
- Install locks on your shed
- This may seem like a no-brainer, but most people don’t even consider this simple, effective step.
- Hide wheelbarrows or bins with wheels (or better yet, store them in a locked area)
- Thieves can use these to remove items or stand on them to climb through windows.
- Invest in a dedicated bike shed
- This is a great way to de-clutter your garden shed and garage. Just be sure to add locks or store it out of sight.
Garden Shed Safety Infographic
Below is a great, printable infographic from I like Sheds. Print it out and hang it somewhere visible. That way you’ll always remember to secure your garden belongings and keep your family safe. 🙂
*This is a sponsored post in conjunction with “I Like Sheds”. All opinions expressed are 100% mine. Please see our Disclosure Page for more information.
- Latest Posts