Using essential oils is a great way to support your overall health and wellness. Diffusing them in your home creates a positive, uplifting environment. It’s also great having oils to offer your children during times of everyday stress. Let’s talk about getting started with essential oils.
Ways to Use Essential Oil
There are 3 methods of using essential oil. Remember, when I talk about essential oil and their application techniques, I’m ALWAYS referring to therapeutic-grade essential oil like Young Living.
*Essential oil should NEVER be used inside the ear canal, in the eyes or on open wounds.
Using essential oil topically means applying it to the skin, hair, nails or teeth and gums. Applying it WITHOUT dilution is referred to “neat”. Essential oils are very potent and some may irritate the skin, so it’s often suggested to dilute them with “carrier oil” such as fractionated coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, almond oil, apricot kernal oil, etc..
TOPICAL APPLICATION EXAMPLES:
- Direct Application – Because essential oils are potent, more is NOT better. To achieve the desired results, 1-3 drops is usually enough. Quick-absorbing areas on your body are the feet, wrists and behind the ears. When applying oils to infants and kids, use 1-3 drops of an essential oil to 1 Tablespoon of “carrier oil”.
- Massage – This technique is done by applying pressure to the skin, muscles and connective tissues to promote healing and balance. Use light to medium touch massage stroke UNLESS you are a certified massage therapist. To create a simple massage oil, combine 2-10 drops of your desired essential oil and blend with 1 tablespoon of a “carrier oil”.
- Suggested oils for massage: Panaway, Deep Relief, Relieve It, Thyme, Basil, Peppermint, Oregano, Wintergreen, Cypress and Marjoram. Valor & Aroma Seiz.
- Baths – This is a great way to enjoy essential oil. Add 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oil to 1/4 cup of epsom salt and soak in the tub for 20 minutes.
- Read Using Essential Oils in the Bath for suggestions.
Aromatic use of essential oil involves inhaling the oil directly from the bottle or diffusing it into the air. Inhalation can be a powerful way to affect memory, hormones, and emotions through the olfactory system. It can also be a quick and effective way to impact the respiratory system.
- Diffusion – This is the easiest way to put a fine mist of oil in the air for inhalation. Diffused essential oil will remain suspended for several hours to freshen and improve the quality of air. CAUTION: Diffusers that use a heat source may alter the chemical makeup of the oil and are not recommended.
- Direct Inhalation – This is a quick way to enjoy the aroma of the essential oil. Simply hold the opened vial close to your face and inhale. You can also place 1-2 drops of oil on your hands, cup your hands over your mouth and nose, and inhale.
Dietary use is the process of consuming the essential oil. ONLY pure, therapeutic grade essential oil should be used for internal consumption. Other essential oils may be diluted or processed using harmful chemicals. With Young Living oils, you can be confident that you’re using the purest essential oil.
- Sublingual – Simply, place 1-2 drops oil under your tongue. Because the blood capillaries are close to the surface under the tongue, many essential oils pass directly into the bloodstream. This allows the oils to have a positive impact on your body functions.
- Capsules -Place 1-10 drops of an oil inside an empty capsule, close the capsule and swallow it. This is a great way to take oils that have an undesirable flavor.
- Beverage and Cooking -Add 1-2 drops of oils like lemon, grapefruit, orange, lime or Slique to your water, tea, milk or favorite beverage. You can add oils to your favorite recipes to spice them up and add therapeutic benefits.
How to Buy Essential Oil
There are many ways to buy essential oil, but quality is important. Never use brands other than Young Living as described above. Young Living essential oils are of the utmost purity and are safety. They are the only company that offers the Seed to Seal commitment. They also own their own farms and perform both in-house and third party testing to guarantee purity and effectiveness.
I recommend signing up with the Premium Starter Kit and I have great news! Starting in just a couple weeks, Young Living will be offering a new kit with the most popular oils. To learn more about buying Young Living essential oil, visit our Essential Oils page.
The updated premium starter kit comes with 11 of the most popular essential oils. It also includes a high quality diffuser, educational material, 1 roller ball, 2 Ningxia samples, 10 oil samples and glass vials for sharing. How awesome is that?!
How to Use Your New Essential Oil Kit
The infographic below explains how to use your NEW essential oil Premium Starter Kit. This unique kit will be available for purchase in June 2015. Find out more about the Premium Starter Kits available for purchase now.
Want to Try Essential Oil?
If you’re interested in learning more about essential oil, I’m here to help! I’ve been using oils to support my family’s health and wellness and I want to be your mentor. Send me an email Nicole@organicsunshine.net. I’m happy to talk to you and offer tips and advice for getting started. You can also learn more about Young Living Membership.
Get more out of life and support yourself by sharing these amazing oils, visit my business opportunity page to learn more. I want to share my experiences with you and teach you. Send me an email email@example.com. Let’s connect!
- Latest Posts