There’s nothing better than a nice hearty bowl of soup during the fall and winter months. I love walking in the door and smelling the delicious aroma of soup simmering in the Crockpot. If you’re looking for a flavorful recipe with simple ingredients, I have the answer for you. This cheesy chicken potato soup recipe is always a hit in my house. It’s also a sneaky way to get my kids to eat some vegetables. Shhh, don’t tell them I said that! They have no idea.
You will need a pan and a Crockpot to cook for this recipe. I have a feeling you’re going to fall in love with this soup and make it at least once a month, if not more! I’m going to give you some great tips for preparing the meat and the veggies. If you follow these simple steps, the results will be a flavorful soup with terrific texture. If you’re not that comfortable in the kitchen, don’t worry! We can get through this together. Here’s a tip: gather all your ingredients and lay them out strategically before you begin. Here we go!
• 1-1 ½ lbs raw chicken breast
• 10-12 small red roasting potatoes (chopped)
• 1 large yellow onion 2 small ones (chopped)
• 3 stalks celery
• Fresh Thyme
• 1 can cheddar cheese soup
• 1 32 oz box chicken stock (measure out ½ cup for de-glazing)
• 1/3 Cup dry white wine
• 3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• ¾ Cup sharp cheddar cheese (and extra for topping the soup, if desired)
• Chives (optional topping)
• Sour Cream or plain greek yogurt (optional topping)
• Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan over medium-high heat.
• Season both sides of raw chicken breast with salt & pepper.
• Sear chicken in pan for 3 minutes, turn over and sear for 3 more minutes on other side (The goal is to brown the meat on each side. The meat will not be cooked through. It will still be pink on the edges and inside, that’s okay!)
• Place chicken on plate to cool while you de-glaze the pan. Leave the heat on for the pan de-glazing.
• Add white wine, ½ cup chicken stock and minced garlic to hot pan, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
Veggie & Herb Prep
• Wash veggies and get ready to chop.
• Remove skin from potatoes (Simply slice the skin off the edges of the potato, creating a square shape.You don’t need to peel the potatoes. Leave some of the skin on. It’s quicker and saves some healthy vitamins and great texture for the soup.)
• Peel & Chop onion(s)
• Remove tough strips from celery by breaking in half and peeling off stringy pieces. (You don’t need to remove all the strings, just the thick ones that come off with the break. This makes the celery more tender , which means kids don’t realize it’s hiding in the soup!).
• Chop Celery
• Pull Thyme leaves off stalks.
• Add chicken, veggies & thyme to Crockpot
• Cook in Crockpot on low for 8 hours
• Ladle into bowls
• Top with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream/plain greek yogurt and chopped chives (if desired)
I hope you love this cheesy chicken potato soup recipe as much and my family does. It warms you up and makes you feel all cozy inside. Be sure to leave a comment. If you tried the recipe and used a different variation we would love to know! We look forward to hearing from you.
- Latest Posts