Ever since having children, I’ve struggled to get a good night sleep. That little mom bug in my ear always keeps me on high alert listening for my children. Not to mention my mind going 90 to nothing as soon as my head hits the pillow. But, believe it or not, I’ve been able to create a consistent nighttime routine that has helped me tremendously. I love using essential oils as a natural way to relax, but it’s also important to focus on habits. Let’s talk about 5 Simple Ways to Relax Your Body and Mind.
Relaxing your mind is probably the most important thing you can do before bedtime to guarantee rejuvenating sleep. A busy, stressed or stimulated mind will never quiet down enough to allow you to drift away.
5 Simple Ways to Relax Your Body and Mind
1. Make Exercise a Part of Your Regular Routine
Yes, that’s me in the picture below. Hello! It’s nice to meet you. 🙂
- Be sure to finish your workout at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Regular exercise helps reduce stress and will naturally help your body relax to prepare for recovery.
- Try a balance of cardio and weight lifting, do yoga or pilates for maximum benefit.
- Taking a brisk walk with your pets or family is a great way to ensure daily exercise.
2. Say NO to Smart Devices at Night
- Turn off smart devices 45 minutes – 1 hour before bedtime.
- Studies have proven that the bright light from smart devices can have a negative impact on sleep.
- Using a smart device to play games or search social media is stimulating to the mind, which can also disrupt sleep.
- Leave your phone/tablet in another room when you turn in for the night.
3. Don’t Drink Alcohol Before Bed
- Although alcohol may make you feel sleepy, it reduces rapid eye movement (REM) sleep.
- Studies have proven that alcohol disrupts sleep, especially half-way through the night.
- Having a single glass of red wine with dinner shouldn’t have a negative impact, but if you carry on drinking between dinner and bedtime, you may be restless throughout the night.
4. Create a Relaxing Nightime Routine
- Something as simple as brushing your teeth, taking a shower/washing your face and applying lotion before bed can be familiar enough to get your body and mind prepared for sleep.
- Get into the habit of reading a book for 20-30 minutes before you sleep to help your mind drift away from that “to do” list.
5. Use and Diffuse Essential Oil
- Essential oils are wonderful at supporting emotional health, they can help ease your mind of worry and provide comfort.
- Take a soothing bath with essential oils. Try a Detox Bath with Essential Oils.
- Learn more about essential oils or buy a Premium Starter Kit to get started today.
- The image below offers diffuser blend suggestions for rest and relaxation.
Getting a good night sleep is important for your mental and physical health. From making good decisions throughout the day by getting regular exercise to creating a comforting night time routine, your choices matter. Say no to that extra glass of wine before bed and if you must have your smart device in hand at all times, turn the light down. Try incorporating essential oils into your bedtime regimen to relax and soothe your mind and body. Sleep well! 🙂
- Latest Posts