I love my home, it’s where my children were born and where they’re growing up. As a homeowner, it’s important to keep your house functioning properly. Sometimes it takes a ton of work to keep up with a home. Honestly, houses are like people. They age. Some do so graciously; others simply fall apart without much warning. That’s why it’s important to pay attention to your home’s subtle warning signs, especially when it comes to electrical work. Let’s talk about Mistakes to Avoid While Rewiring a House.
Next to the plumbing, electrical wiring is the most common household item that will develop issues. It all depends on how much you use electrical outlets and how well they were installed to begin with. We’ve had tons of issues with light switches and basic outlets in our home. So, should you jump in and do it yourself, or hire a professional?
DIY Electical Work vs. Hiring a Pro
Many issues with an existing electrical system are hard to tackle for the average do-it-yourself homeowner. Electrical installations require a solid knowledge of how an electrical grid works and what rules apply to electrical installations in a house. Government codes and safety conventions for the installation of electrical facility innovations can be very complex.
The easiest, fastest and safest way to replace, renew and to reinstall electrical wiring in a house is to hire a reputable and experienced electrical services provider. This guarantees that the electrical system is up to code, with safety foremost. The last thing you want to do is create a fire hazard in your home!
Here is a brief list of the most common electrical problems in older houses:
- Electrical connections are outside of electrical boxes
- Wire are too short
- Boxes hold too many wires
- Reversing wires, hot and neutral
- Boxes recessed behind wall surface
- Plastic-sheathed wires left unprotected
- Faulty GFI wiring
- Not enough outlets in a room
- Old aluminum wiring.
While a knowledgeable homeowner could potentially correct some of the problems, many of these repairs are beyond the skills of the average homeowner. In fact, even a handyman service should not touch some of them.
- Wiring issues that should be left to the professionals are, among others:
- Replacement of old aluminum wiring
- Unprotected plastic- sheathed wiring
- Reversed or mixed hot and neutral wiring throughout the house
- Too few outlets in a room
Avoiding House Fires
Believe it or not, having too few outlets in a room is one of the more common causes of house fires. People tend to make up for missing outlets by plugging multiple outlet adapters into the few existing ones. This creates a heavy load on the existing wiring that heats up the wiring. Eventually, the excessive heat can spark a fire.
Reversed or mixed wiring polarity in a house is another issue that should best left to professional electricians and companies that specialize in facility innovations. The biggest problem among electrical wiring problems better left to professional electricians is associated with aluminum wires. They were widely used in the 1960s to reduce construction costs. However, aluminum oxidizes as it ages. The result? Loose connections and, possibly, sparking.
Electrical problems in an older house most frequently should be resolved by professionals and not by the homeowner or a handyman.
- Latest Posts