Did you know that if your teeth and gums are unhealthy, it can effect your overall health? That’s right! Think about it for a minute, everything in your body is interconnected. It’s important to find balance in your life and keep your entire body working properly. Your overall health is connected to everything from your mouth and teeth to your gut and skin.
I’ll admit, I’ve been a lazy Mom at times. My oldest son has had more than one cavity. While I was struggling with a colicky baby and a stressful full-time career, I let his oral hygiene habits slip through the cracks. I realize now how important it is to create a family routine and encourage good brushing habits.
Creating Good Brushing Habits
Since suffering through cavities and fillings with Zach, I’ve been on a mission to keep our entire family in a good routine when it comes to oral health. I encourage you to create a similar family routine. Healthy teeth and gums are where it’s at! Let me tell you a few ways we keep our teeth and gums healthy.
Our Family’s Healthy Brushing Habits
- Twice a day family brushing
- That’s right! We all gather around the sink morning and night and brush our teeth together, as a family.
- If everyone brushes at the same time, no one slips through the cracks.
- Parents can supervise brushing if everyone does it together
- Flossing Daily
- Each night we floss together, just like brushing
- Mouthwash Daily
- I try to encourage this twice a day, but I always manage to supervise and ensure each kid uses mouthwash at least once each day. This helps remove any particles brushing may have missed.
- Oil Pulling
- Alright, I admit…I’m the only one in the family that practices this regimen. But this is something I never want to live without.
- Each morning before eating or drinking I use 2 tsp of Coconut oil to clean my mouth and detoxify my body. I simply roll the oil around in my mouth for 20 minutes (a gentle roll). For the last two minutes I swish a bit more vigorously, forcing the oil between my teeth. Spit, Then I spit, rinse and carry on with life.
Time to Brush
My kids are 6 and 10 and I’ll admit sometimes I still grab the toothbrush to make sure they’re brushing properly. That’s why I was thrilled to be introduced to this cool new product called Time to Brush. This handy little toothbrush caddie is much more than just a toothbrush holder. It actually teaches kids how to properly brush teeth, with a visual display and step-by-step spoken instructions.
My kids were super excited to give this thing a try when we got it in the mail. There’s a fun character named “Bobby Brush” that guides the kids through proper brushing techniques. Encouraging kids to brush the teeth in sections. I can actually see my kids getting the front and back, top and bottom of each tooth in their mouth.
With this handy little device, I feel confident my kids are brushing properly.
Create a Routine and Make Brushing Fun
Creating a family brushing schedule is a great idea. That’s what works for my family. If you want to encourage healthy habits, it’s smart to set a good example. Not only are you telling your kids to brush their teeth, but you’re showing them how important it is. If you want to add Time to Brush to your teeth brushing arsenal, you can order it on Amazon. I’m also excited to be hosting a giveaway of this innovative tooth brushing tool. Oral health is important and I’m excited to encourage healthy brushing habits. Give it a shot!
Giveaway Open to US Residents 18 and Older
*Disclaimer: My family was provided one Time to Brush unit in turn for this review. All opinions expressed are 100% mine.
- Latest Posts